Very interesting question that gets the brain juices flowing. I see you thoughts are as deep as aristotle's, pondering the deepest mysteries of the universe.
While i do not have much experience in the area i would hypothesis that the weight to masturbation scale is a standard distribution bell curve. While skinny good looking people don't masturbate much b/c they are constantly having sex, average people masturbate the usual amount, and really fat people masturbate as little (if at all) as skinny good looking people b/c they can't reach or it is too much effort.
The difficult part is pinpointing the exact weight (or more likely the exact BMI b/c weight various based on multiple things like height, muscle, body type) that fat people can't/won't jerk it. I would predict that anyone outside of three standard deviations (99.6%) is at the extreme end of the spectrum w/ minimal or possibly no masturbation at all.
That being said half of those people will be on the skinny side so only .2% of the population will be on the too fat to masturbate side. Now all that is left to do is figure out the BMI for the top .2% of the population and that is an approximate guess of how fat one needs to be before they can't jerk off.
according the graphs on this link it appears as if a BMI of 50+ is the number we are looking for. A BMI of 30 is considered obese. To put in in perspective a 5'7 male would have to weigh about 320 pounds.
All that is man makes some very valid points however I would like to offer a possible modification to his theories.
BMI is often a misleading indicator of how good your body actually looks. While it does offer a rough estimate, there are people with low BMIs who have terrible bodies (aka 'skinny fat') and people with high BMIs who have great bodies (diesel people). While BMI can provide a general trend, body fat percentage would be a much more accurate measure, though it is more difficult to obtain the data.
That being said, we have to work with the data we have. I believe that I can accurately pinpoint the BMI that that a male is no longer able to jack off (due to the physical impossibility not simply laziness.) This will be based on several assumptions: first, that the average density of an obese individual is .9g/cm^3, second that a man's reach = 1/2 his height, third that the average male height is 5'10", fourth, that a man's waist is located halfway up his body and finally that as a man grows fatter, his radius increases like that of an expanding sphere.
In order for a man of average height's spherical belly to protrude to an extent such that it prevents him from reaching his own genitals, it must have a radius of arm length/sqrt(2) which for an average male would be 63 cm.
Using that radius to calculate the volume of the individual gives volume= 1.06 x 10^6 cm^3
We can then use this volume and the assumed density of .9g/cm^3 to find the mass. After converting from grams to pounds, this yields a weight of 432lbs.
Finally, using the formula for BMI, a height of 5'10" and a mass of 432, we find that the BMI at which an average male becomes unable to JO is 62.
Conclusion: physical fitness aside, a man can JO until he reaches a BMI of 62, at which point it becomes physically impossible.
Very impressive analysis Nick. I feel like we all learned a valuable lesson here today... It is ok to be fat as long as your BMI is under 62.
I can see that my estimate (it was clearly a very rough/unscientific estimate) was on the low side and i am glad that you came along to correct that. I also think it is safe to assume that a man will continue to JO until he in fact physically cannot.
When I first posed this concern late last night I never thought I would get such methodically thought-out responses. I figured I would get one or two joking responses that wouldn't really answer the initial question or maybe some guesstimations.
I was pleasantly surprised when 'All That Is Man' posted a legitimate attempt at solving said conundrum of mine and I commend his efforts at trying to do so. After reading over his response once or twice I FELT LIKE the math might not be completely spot on, and realizing that I had absolutely no idea what the appropriate math would be, I sent the whole thing to someone who I thought could help.
The response that Nick gave blew me away. After reading his calculations I was satisfied that we had reached a more accurate solution to the issue. I want to thank both of you for taking the time to try and tackle my random inquiry.
AO, for trying to belittle their accomplishments in any way... shame on you.
Very interesting question that gets the brain juices flowing. I see you thoughts are as deep as aristotle's, pondering the deepest mysteries of the universe.
ReplyDeleteWhile i do not have much experience in the area i would hypothesis that the weight to masturbation scale is a standard distribution bell curve. While skinny good looking people don't masturbate much b/c they are constantly having sex, average people masturbate the usual amount, and really fat people masturbate as little (if at all) as skinny good looking people b/c they can't reach or it is too much effort.
The difficult part is pinpointing the exact weight (or more likely the exact BMI b/c weight various based on multiple things like height, muscle, body type) that fat people can't/won't jerk it. I would predict that anyone outside of three standard deviations (99.6%) is at the extreme end of the spectrum w/ minimal or possibly no masturbation at all.
That being said half of those people will be on the skinny side so only .2% of the population will be on the too fat to masturbate side. Now all that is left to do is figure out the BMI for the top .2% of the population and that is an approximate guess of how fat one needs to be before they can't jerk off.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1636707/figure/N0x9e1d448N0x9c7a4b0/
according the graphs on this link it appears as if a BMI of 50+ is the number we are looking for. A BMI of 30 is considered obese. To put in in perspective a 5'7 male would have to weigh about 320 pounds.
All that is man makes some very valid points however I would like to offer a possible modification to his theories.
ReplyDeleteBMI is often a misleading indicator of how good your body actually looks. While it does offer a rough estimate, there are people with low BMIs who have terrible bodies (aka 'skinny fat') and people with high BMIs who have great bodies (diesel people). While BMI can provide a general trend, body fat percentage would be a much more accurate measure, though it is more difficult to obtain the data.
That being said, we have to work with the data we have. I believe that I can accurately pinpoint the BMI that that a male is no longer able to jack off (due to the physical impossibility not simply laziness.) This will be based on several assumptions: first, that the average density of an obese individual is .9g/cm^3, second that a man's reach = 1/2 his height, third that the average male height is 5'10", fourth, that a man's waist is located halfway up his body and finally that as a man grows fatter, his radius increases like that of an expanding sphere.
In order for a man of average height's spherical belly to protrude to an extent such that it prevents him from reaching his own genitals, it must have a radius of arm length/sqrt(2) which for an average male would be 63 cm.
Using that radius to calculate the volume of the individual gives volume= 1.06 x 10^6 cm^3
We can then use this volume and the assumed density of .9g/cm^3 to find the mass. After converting from grams to pounds, this yields a weight of 432lbs.
Finally, using the formula for BMI, a height of 5'10" and a mass of 432, we find that the BMI at which an average male becomes unable to JO is 62.
Conclusion: physical fitness aside, a man can JO until he reaches a BMI of 62, at which point it becomes physically impossible.
In case you are wondering, I actually did those calculations. I can't believe I actually spent the time to do it either.
ReplyDeleteVery impressive analysis Nick. I feel like we all learned a valuable lesson here today... It is ok to be fat as long as your BMI is under 62.
ReplyDeleteI can see that my estimate (it was clearly a very rough/unscientific estimate) was on the low side and i am glad that you came along to correct that. I also think it is safe to assume that a man will continue to JO until he in fact physically cannot.
Really Neuman?
ReplyDeleteWhen I first posed this concern late last night I never thought I would get such methodically thought-out responses. I figured I would get one or two joking responses that wouldn't really answer the initial question or maybe some guesstimations.
ReplyDeleteI was pleasantly surprised when 'All That Is Man' posted a legitimate attempt at solving said conundrum of mine and I commend his efforts at trying to do so. After reading over his response once or twice I FELT LIKE the math might not be completely spot on, and realizing that I had absolutely no idea what the appropriate math would be, I sent the whole thing to someone who I thought could help.
The response that Nick gave blew me away. After reading his calculations I was satisfied that we had reached a more accurate solution to the issue. I want to thank both of you for taking the time to try and tackle my random inquiry.
AO, for trying to belittle their accomplishments in any way... shame on you.
Anytime Joel. I knew my physics degree would come in handy eventually.
ReplyDeleteOh and Allie, seriously, what have you done with your life more important than this?
<3 miss you fools.
ReplyDelete